Tuesday, August 12, 2008

not a writer

i realized today that i am not a writer! and yet i am teaching writing to my students, yikes! actually there are several of my students who are really good writers. i also realized that my sons are good writers, i guess they got that gene from their dad and mamaw. but they got their sense of humor from me!!

my goal this year at school is to find something to smile, laugh, or sing about everyday. i'm sure that this will be very challenging on some days. the thing that made me smile today was this, one of my students has horrible grammar! he regularly uses ain't, double negatives, can for may, and yeah for yes ma'am, which he knows is a no-no in my class. anyway, i constantly have him repeat what he said with proper grammar or with the respectful yes or no ma'am. after being reminded several times to say yes ma'am he looked at me with his endearing quirky smile and told me " ah thank ah'm gonna have to write that on my hand!!!"

well, as i tell my students, the only way to get better at something is to practice it, so, i will continue to write : )

No comments: