Monday, July 28, 2008

Mission Trip

we just returned from our mission trip this past saturday. i forgot how much energy it takes to be with teenagers 24/7! we were really blessed by going on this trip. it's hard for me to believe that this time last year we only had 4 youth. we took 10 on the trip. i also forgot how much fun these trips can be.

as i was reflecting on this mission trip i realized how fortunate and truly grateful to God i am for several things. one, i have a good education which allows me to have a good job and thus have some financial security. two, i have made some right choices in my life that have made my life a little easier. as i watched the people at the mission we worked at (we handed out bags of groceries)i realized that had i not chosen to finish high school and go on to college i could have been one of those people who came for help to the mission. their opportunities for employment are so limited in this area. they are either coal miners or laborers and with the economy the way it is there are just not that many unskilled jobs. they were so poor and many of them so destitute. i believe very strongly that education is the way out for many people who are going nowhere fast. because i chose to go to school i chose a different life for myself. i also believe that God has blessed me with people in my life who encouraged me and were my cheering section when it was not easy to go on. i am so thankful to God that He has led my life and directed me. i could so easily have been one of those folks. they just made me realize that i have so much that i take for granted that shouldn't be taken for granted. sorry for the rambling....

west virginia is beautiful but i am very happy to be home. our summer is over and school is about to start. that should prove to be fodder for some interesting blogging later on.

well, it's late so i will close for now.

No comments: